Sep"a*rate (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Separated (); p. pr. & vb. n. Separating.] [L. separatus, p. p. of separare to separate; pfref. se- aside + parare to make ready, prepare. See Parade, and cf. Sever.]

1.

To disunite; to divide; to disconnect; to sever; to part in any manner.

From the fine gold I separate the alloy. Dryden.

Separate thyself, I pray thee, from me. Gen. xiii. 9.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Rom. viii. 35.

2.

To come between; to keep apart by occupying the space between; to lie between; as, the Mediterranean Sea separates Europe and Africa.

3.

To set apart; to select from among others, as for a special use or service.

Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called thaem. Acts xiii. 2.

Separated flowers Bot., flowers which have stamens and pistils in separate flowers; diclinous flowers.

Gray.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sep"a*rate, v. i.

To part; to become disunited; to be disconnected; to withdraw from one another; as, the family separated.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sep"a*rate (?), p. a. [L. separatus, p. p. ]

1.

Divided from another or others; disjoined; disconnected; separated; -- said of things once connected.

Him that was separate from his brethren. Gen. xlix. 26.

2.

Unconnected; not united or associated; distinct; -- said of things that have not been connected.

For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinnere. Heb. vii. 26.

3.

Disunited from the body; disembodied; as, a separate spirit; the separate state of souls.

Separate estate Law, an estate limited to a married woman independent of her husband. -- Separate maintenance Law, an allowance made to a wife by her husband under deed of separation.

-- Sep"a*rate*ly, adv. -- Sep"a*rate*ness, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.