Oops, my bad, dawg!


“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.”
-- Harry S. Truman


The idiom step on toes usually means to unintentionally offend someone by encroaching on their territory, challenging their authority, or trespassing on their rights. It implies doing something that is their responsibility or prerogative and seizing their power. Remember: To step on their toes they have to be right there, whether one realizes it or not.

Just a couple of more things to know:

  1. How Not to Step on Toes

    • Know the Hierarchy: Understand everyone’s roles and responsibilities. Don’t enter someone else’s domain without an invitation.

    • Talk and Get Feedback: Before making big moves, discuss your plans with others, especially if they affect the work and/or are colleagues (be they peers, superiors, or subordinates). Teamwork can indeed make the dream work.

    • Observe First, Act Later: Take a moment to understand the situation. Don’t hop, skip, or just jump into action without grasping the context. Measure twice, cut once as the old saying goes.

    • Listen Well: When someone shares their viewpoint or concerns, lend an attentive ear. Don't just hear, listen.

  2. Why It Matters

    • Stepping on toes isn’t just about the physical action (which is also annoying, to be honest); it’s about maintaining peace and respect in our dealings with one another.

    • Whether at work or in social circles, being considerate in our actions aids in preventing unintentional offense.

For brevity, or in idiom unfriendly spaces, consider using one of the following: disrespect, intrude, offend, overreach, overstep, trespass, upset.



By the by, this can be deceptively difficult to not do in online communities or on social media.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.