I first came across this word in an interview featuring Stephen King. If I recall correctly, he said the secret to writing is to write. The (aspiring) writer should stick to it even when he doesn’t feel like it or when he feels he is writing shit. I had always thought it was a word invented by Mr. King but looking it up just now, it appears to have been in use since at least the 19th century. I would have thought consistency would be a good synonym, but in order to pad this writeup, I will add diligence just so I can include the quote below from German General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord:

“I divide my officers into four groups. There are clever, diligent, stupid, and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and diligent -- their place is the General Staff. The next lot are stupid and lazy - they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties. The man who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties, because he possesses the intellectual clarity and the composure to deal with difficult situations. One must beware of anyone who is stupid and diligent - he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always cause only mischief and must be removed immediately.”

The quote is included because diligence in producing crap is not worthy. I had signed up for the iron noder hoping I would be able to produce great pieces like this, or this, or this, or this or so many others that I have bookmarked on my homenode. Instead, I have found myself having to write for the sake of posting and while I don’t think that constitutes mischief, I think unworthy writing somewhat detracts from the overall quality of the site. However, I will console myself by saying this is the first time I am trying something of this nature and hopefully I will get better with time. Just like I made a resolution on 31/12/2019 and I was able to keep it by taking it one day at a time. I had a habit, which even though objectively not bad, I was ashamed of. It is now 10 months 11 days since I indulged in it and I am hoping I have kicked it for good.

The word can be spelled sticktoitiveness, stick-to-itive-ness and as it is in the title of the node.

So, stick-to-it-iveness is dogged persistence. Except if one is stupid and thus probably doing something that is a net negative to meeting set objectives.

Iron Noder 2020, 12/30

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.