Sti"fle (?), n. [From Stiff.] Far.

The joint next above the hock, and near the flank, in the hind leg of the horse and allied animals; the joint corresponding to the knee in man; -- called also stifle joint. See Illust. under Horse.

Stifle bone, a small bone at the stifle joint; the patella, or kneepan.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sti"fle, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stifled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Stifling (?).] [Freq. of OE. stif stiff; cf. Icel. stifla to dam up.]

1.

To stop the breath of by crowding something into the windpipe, or introducing an irrespirable substance into the lungs; to choke; to suffocate; to cause the death of by such means; as, to stifle one with smoke or dust.

Stifled with kisses, a sweet death he dies. Dryden.

I took my leave, being half stifled with the closeness of the room. Swift.

2.

To stop; to extinguish; to deaden; to quench; as, to stifle the breath; to stifle a fire or flame.

Bodies . . . stifle in themselves the rays which they do not reflect or transmit. Sir I. Newton.

3.

To suppress the manifestation or report of; to smother; to conceal from public knowledge; as, to stifle a story; to stifle passion.

I desire only to have things fairly represented as they really are; no evidence smothered or stifled. Waterland.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sti"fle (?), v. i.

To die by reason of obstruction of the breath, or because some noxious substance prevents respiration.

You shall stifle in your own report. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.