Supervocalic -- coined by Eric Chaikin and mentioned in Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis -- refers to a word or phrase that contains each vowel one time.

Part of the problem, Eric reasons, is that he's always been infatuated with wordplay rather than competition. He deomonstrates that devotion one night at a tournament, when he explains to other math-brained word lovers his concept of "supervocalics," a word he coined to describe words or phrases containing the letters A, E, I, O, and U once each (Julia Roberts is a supervocalic actress; Mozambique and Belorussia are the only two supervocalic countries; Hair Club for Men is a supervocalic . . . Hair club).
Fastis, Stefan. Word Freak - Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players. New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2001. p. 352

Susan Thorpe chronicled her lifelong search for supervocalics in Word Ways magizine in August, 1999, but did not call them by that term. (Her article can be found at http://wordways.com/thorpe99.htm and includes a long list of these words.)

"Unsociable housemaid discourages facetious behaviour" is a phrase made up entirely of uncapitalized supervocalics, each with a different permutation of vowels. permutation? supervocalic.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.