Slang meaning: Origination: Street, partic. HipHop industry.

Popularized esp. in 2000, when the Rap group 3-6 Mafia released a song titled Sippin' on some syrup, feat. Pimp C and Bun B of U.G.K. Also popularized by the late DJ Screw.

Common drugs known as syrup:

  • Promethazine - Green
  • Codeine - Purple
  • Tuss - Orange or Yellow
  • Chlor-mes D - Clear
    *colors may vary of course

    Characterized and known mainly by colors, they can be drank, mixed with other drinks, or smoked by dipping or rubbing the liquid onto the item to be smoked. The effects are usually a tardation of the senses, and an overall general feeling of warmth and happiness.

    Though absolutely a whole shitload of fun, they do have repercussions. DJ Screw, a HipHop pioneer popularized mainly in the South, was found dead in the bathroom of his studio in early 2001. The coroner released that he died of a codeine-marijuana-alcohol mix. He had been drinking Promethazine.

  • Sir"up, (?) Syr"up, n. [F. sirop (cf. It. siroppo, Sp. jarabe, jarope, LL. siruppus, syrupus), fr. Ar. sharab a drink, wine, coffee, sirup. Cf. Sherbet.]

    1.

    A thick and viscid liquid made from the juice of fruits, herbs, etc., boiled with sugar.

    2.

    A thick and viscid saccharine solution of superior quality (as sugarhouse sirup or molasses, maple sirup); specifically, in pharmacy and often in cookery, a saturated solution of sugar and water (simple sirup), or such a solution flavored or medicated.

    Lucent sirups tinct with cinnamon. Keats.

    Mixing sirup. See the Note under Dextrose.

     

    © Webster 1913.


    Syr"up (?), n., Syr"up*y (?), a. [See Sirup.]

    Same as Sirup, Sirupy.

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.