tenant at will

One whose wife usually fetches him from the alehouse.
tenant for life

A married man ; i.e. possessed of a woman for life.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

Ten"ant (?), n. [F. tenant, p.pr. of tenir to hold. See Tenable, and cf. Lieutenant.]

1. Law

One who holds or possesses lands, or other real estate, by any kind of right, whether in fee simple, in common, in severalty, for life, for years, or at will; also, one who has the occupation or temporary possession of lands or tenements the title of which is in another; -- correlative to landlord. See Citation from Blackstone, under Tenement, 2.

Blount. Wharton.

2.

One who has possession of any place; a dweller; an occupant.

"Sweet tenants of this grove."

Cowper.

The hhappy tenant of your shade. Cowley.

The sister tenants of the middle deep. Byron.

Tenant in capite [L. in in + capite, abl. of caput head, chief.], ∨ Tenant in chief, by the laws of England, one who holds immediately of the king. According to the feudal system, all lands in England are considered as held immediately or mediately of the king, who is styled lord paramount. Such tenants, however, are considered as having the fee of the lands and permanent possession. Blackstone. -- Tenant in common. See under Common.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ten"ant, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tenanted; p. pr. & vb. n. Tenanting.]

To hold, occupy, or possess as a tenant.

Sir Roger's estate is tenanted by persons who have served him or his ancestors. Addison.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.