I wouldn't say I always think about it when going to the toilet, but everytime when I see those hygiene-promoting ads, or somebody walking out of the toilets without washing her hands, I ask myself: " Why should I wash my hands??" It doesn't make much sense.

Some lab experiments during my course Introduction Microbiology (now 8 years ago, but it sure did make an impression). One experiment was to simulate the toilet-going-ritual:
1. petri dishes with a bacteria cocktail containing E. coli and some cocci et. al.
2. Touch it with your bare hand, 2, 4, 6 and 8 layers of toilet paper (we used the grey recycled type).
3. Then leave your hands unwashed, rinse with water or wash them with water and soap.
4. Last parameter is yes/no using the faucet.

There were stunning results in all groups doing these tests: even after using 6 layers and washing your hands, those damn bacteria were hitch hiking on your body. Only after 8 layers of paper + washing the culturable bacteria were negligible.
And who knows about that? Who is going to count 8 layers of toilet paper every time?
Even if you do, there's another problem: the water tap. You're "safe" if it's one with a handle, push button or an automatic one. But think about it the next time, do you turn the faucet open with your dirty hands, leaving some bacteria behind on the metal? You know, after washing, you close it with your clean hand and you got your bacteria back.

Last step is the door handle. If there's one person before you who didn't wash his/her hands, you still can't escape those "toilet bacteria". Same problem as with the faucet.

There's an option though if the above doesn't give you a comfortable idea; something I was told during my tropical hygiene class: use only your left hand during your toilet activities so your right hand will stay relatively clean for eating and shaking hands.

But regarding those bacteria, you can't escape them, You are never alone.
From lordaych's writeup in the node going commando:

Another amplified problem is the classic wet-spots-on-your-pants-after-pissing issue. As every man can attest, one must thoroughly shake after relieving ones' self at the urinal. If you're wearing underwear, the consequences aren't too bad; with boxers or boxer-briefs some urine may dribble down your leg and end up creating a tiny wet spot near your legs, but if you're going commando you can expect much more of a show if you're not careful, and much of it will be right near your special spot, forcing you to pull your shirt down to cover it or simply face the music and hope nobody notices.

What I want to ask is: At which point did men decide to NOT use the novel invention of toilet paper to take care of the last few drops which stubbornly remain after urinating? Was it somehow declared "womanly" to do so, by the mysterious powers-that-decide-what-is-acceptable-for-men? Or was it simply never offered as an option at public urinals, with the behavior then carrying over to home toilets where paper is available? I for one would much rather mop up with paper than have a huge visible pee stain on my khakis, thank you very much.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.