Trans*port" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Transported; p. pr. & vb. n. Transporting.] [F. transporter, L. transportare; trans across + portare to carry. See Port bearing, demeanor.]

1.

To carry or bear from one place to another; to remove; to convey; as, to transport goods; to transport troops.

Hakluyt.

2.

To carry, or cause to be carried, into banishment, as a criminal; to banish.

3.

To carry away with vehement emotion, as joy, sorrow, complacency, anger, etc.; to ravish with pleasure or ecstasy; as, music transports the soul.

[They] laugh as if transported with some fit Of passion. Milton.

We shall then be transported with a nobler . . . wonder. South.

 

© Webster 1913.


Trans"port (?), n. [F. See Transport, v.]

1.

Transportation; carriage; conveyance.

The Romans . . . stipulated with the Carthaginians to furnish them with ships for transport and war. Arbuthnot.

2.

A vessel employed for transporting, especially for carrying soldiers, warlike stores, or provisions, from one place to another, or to convey convicts to their destination; -- called also transport ship, transport vessel.

3.

Vehement emotion; passion; ecstasy; rapture.

With transport views the airy rule his own, And swells on an imaginary throne. Pope.

Say not, in transports of despair, That all your hopes are fled. Doddridge.

4.

A convict transported, or sentenced to exile.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.