Vo*ca"tion (?), n. [L. vocatio a bidding, invitation, fr. vocare to call, fr. vox, vocis, voice: cf. F. vocation. See Vocal.]

1.

A call; a summons; a citation; especially, a designation or appointment to a particular state, business, or profession.

What can be urged for them who not having the vocation of poverty to scribble, out of mere wantonness make themselves ridiculous? Dryden.

2.

Destined or appropriate employment; calling; occupation; trade; business; profession.

He would think his service greatly rewarded, if he might obtain by that means to live in the sight of his prince, and yet practice his own chosen vocation. Sir. P. Sidney.

3. Theol.

A calling by the will of God.

Specifically: --

(a)

The bestowment of God's distinguishing grace upon a person or nation, by which that person or nation is put in the way of salvation; as, the vocation of the Jews under the old dispensation, and of the Gentiles under the gospel.

"The golden chain of vocation, election, and justification."

Jer. Taylor.

(b)

A call to special religious work, as to the ministry.

Every member of the same [the Church], in his vocation and ministry. Bk. of Com. Prayer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.