A tool used when wire wrapping prototype circuit boards. I shall attempt to describe it.

  1. Start with a hexagonal shaft that is the handle. Mine is painted with a blue finish.
  2. Drill a hole through the center of the shaft (not axially, but from one side of the shaft to the other). Put a small wire stripper one side of this hole. This part is for (duh) stripping wires.
  3. Into one end of the shaft, Insert a small rod with a hole in the middle. This rod should have a concavity at the end as well. This is the unwrapping part of the wire wrap tool, for when you make mistakes and need to unwrap your wire.
  4. Into the other end of the shaft, insert the more interesting rod. I shall attempt to describe it.
    1. Start with a normal rod.
    2. Bore a small hole down the axis.
    3. Cut a trench on one side of the rod.
    4. For the last 3 millimeters of the rod, shave off about 40 percent of the trench side of the rod.
    5. Put a four millimeter long cuff around the last two millimeters of the rod, so that it hangs off the end about 2 millimeters. The shaved off part of the rod should leave a small hole that you can fit a tiny wire through.
    This is the wrapping part of the wire wrap tool.

Despite the curious workmanship on the wrapper, you wouldn't expect to pay more than 50 cents for one of these tools. However, they usually sell for upwards of 8 dollars a piece, because their design in patented, and aggressively enforced.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.