Some wiseguy once said: 'A good idea is the one you wish you'd thought up yourself'. You could be wishing this for a few different reasons.
  • The recognition you would have gotten
    Well it's too late for you to think of it now, so get over it.
  • Was it a money making idea?
    Because then I have no way to deal with it. I would be banging my head against the wall.
  • It's wistful thinking that you had the same mental capacity as the person who worked it out.
    How can I fix this one? I have the brains that I have because I have them. how profound. Oh, I can say 'It's not brains really, but a style of thought, different patterns and all that.'
  • You've been upstaged by someone else.
    THIS HURTS. You had already thought of it, but dismissed it as too hard, impractical or just impossible. My thinking over here is somewhere along the lines of: If you dismissed it, you had reasons: You didn't have the finances, the social capacity, or the organization skills that this guy has brought to the concept. Whatever it was. But then someone reminds you that If there's a will, there's a way. And you start kicking yourself all over again. WHY DID I NOT THINK OF IT FIRST?
  • The simplicity of the solution.
    NOTHING to do with jealousy or recognition. Just a transparent and lucid thought. And you go 'Why didn't I think of it first?', meaning, 'How could I have not seen that this is the way to do it?'. And it becomes a celebration between the thinkers, that someone found the answer, after it's been staring you in the face for ages.
Just admire the idea for what it is, its implementation, its wholeness, its existence. Because it's already been thought of, and you're two minutes late.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.