"How far do you want to go?"

"Very," I said.

"Where do you live?"

"In my apartment?" I was unsure what she was asking.

"Do you like it there?"

I was afraid to answer.

"I'll show you something then."

And suddenly the pier disappeared. We were inside a castle. Sinister looking.

"Let's cheer this up a bit." Trees sprouted in the courtyard. Even inside our cavernous room. The ceiling turned into glass. Sunlight poured in.

"Let's take this upstairs." Up a few flights. Up a long ladder. On the roof, the light was blinding. I looked through the glass at our feet. I saw the entire castle.

It was chilly for Spring. It seemed as if night would never come again.

"How do you like it?"

"It's beautiful," I said. "But it's so empty. What would I do here, all alone."

"I can be with you."

"Just the two of us in this huge place?"

Then we were surrounded by my family and friends. They cheered and clapped as if they knew what was going on, that I was finally let in on some joke. This was no joke though. 

While I can't say we lived happily ever after, she had a way about her. Some kind of ancient wisdom perhaps, that was able to settle all our disputes.

I wondered how I had earned such luck. Maybe it was love after all.

"You can't run forever," she told me one day.

And I didn't. I had no reason to.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.