threw you the obvious and you flew


with it on your back, a name in your recollection




A stunning, captivating voice flowed from the radio. It bounced around my room, and I sat and listened, dumbfounded by the pure emotion spewing forth. I was ready to go to sleep when it happened; how could I turn off the light and not hear more? Though I could not understand much of it at first, the song dug in like a splinter; I knew I had found what I would come to love beyond casual interest. But it even felt like something more than that.


thrown down among a million same.

difficult not to feel a little bit disappointed


If anything, it was the emotion in this man's voice that drew me closer.


and passed over
when i've looked right through

to see you naked and oblivious
and
you don't see me. But i threw you the obvious



I sat there thinking after the song had finished (and the DJ had moved on to discuss European politics of some description), and it occurred to me that no other song had ever stopped me in my tracks like that. Two months later, I told my mother I wanted singing lessons.


just to see if there's more behind the eyes
of a fallen angel,

the eyes of a tragedy.
here i am expecting just a little bit
too much from the wounded.



I had always been a musical person, someone eager to create music, and to cherish what I had created. But what can a sixteen year old do but be inspired, move on, or dominate what they can? The capacity to create something I saw as beautiful had not diminished, but for now, chasing the voice of Maynard James Keenan seemed the right thing to do. And while the singing lessons helped, I realized something. This man's voice, which had moved me so on that night, was irreplaceable. We all have our own voices, and his was one born of the unknown. Untutored, yet polished. Capable of expressing violence, but soft enough to draw tears.


but i see through it all
and see you.
so i threw you the obvious
to see what occurs behind the eyes of a fallen angel,
eyes of a tragedy.
Oh well. Apparently nothing.



Two years down the track and I have started getting work through music. I can honestly say that if I hadn't had disobeyed my parents, stayed up late and listened to the radio, it would not be happening. The song and voice that shaped me, and the voice that bound me to my love. This man is my hero.



you don't see me.
you don't see me at all



3 Libras, A perfect circle


Part of We Could Be Heroes: tes's Everything2 Heroes Quest