While it is true that there are generally no restrictions on activity or diet, there are plenty of things a person with MVP can do to reduce and possibly eliminate symptoms.

The most common symptom, or at least the most recognizable one, is the "fluttery heartbeat" sensation, which is caused by Premature Ventricular Contractions, or PVCs. Some things that have been linked to this are: stress, caffeine, alcohol, sugar, carbohydrates, and lack of sleep. By cutting down on these things, or cutting them out altogether, the PVCs can sometimes be controled. If this doesn't work, beta blockers may be prescribed to help regulate heartbeats.

Also, people who have been diagnosed with MVP occasionally complain of dehydration, and have said that loading up on fluids has helped to reduce or eliminate symptoms.

An echocardiogram may be used to diagnose MVP. This is done with the same machines that are used for ultrasounds so that expectant mothers can see their babies. During the echocardiogram, technicians look for thickness of the mitral valve walls, and for signs of blood regurgitation, or backward blood flow.

Body features that have been associated with MVP include:

  • Low body weight
  • Low blood presure
  • Flat rib cage
  • Straight back
  • Loose joints
  • Long arms, fingers, and toes
Sources: http://www.webmd.com, http://www.mvpsupport.com