I know someone who spends over a hundred, maybe two a month on coffee. She showed me her stats once on the Starbucks app, which tracks that and displays it for some reason (maybe to depress you?). I also know someone who spends maybe ten bucks for a big thing of Folgers coffee that lasts him months. Personally, I'm a centrist; I'll spend more money on flavored coffee grounds, but I won't go out and buy coffee drinks every week, much less every day. Hazelnut coffee is where it’s at. I can't taste well at all, and I can’t tell the difference between hazelnut and French Vanilla, but somehow I like the hazelnut more. It doesn’t wake me up, not anymore (if it ever did), but I still drink it for the caffeine. Just in case. I drink it black, usually I’ll get the light roast and make it strong.

Coffee is good for the soul. I used to drink a pot and a half of coffee and a couple of sodas a day, but I cut back on the sodas (and the coffee a tiny, tiny bit because I started getting what my psychiatrist calls “panic attacks”). I just find, though, that I’m so much happier when I have coffee to sip on. I don’t know if it’s a strictly psychological thing or if there’s some biological hormone thingamajig that goes on biologically. What I do know is that if I am sipping on some good, strong coffee I can get through the day much more easily.

Unfortunately, I take so long to drink my coffee that by the time I’m halfway through my mug it’s cooled down. I’ve been wanting to get one of those desktop mug warmers, maybe a USB one that I can take with me?

Try it. Try slowly sipping on some strong coffee on a day you're feeling rather bad. You might find that it does more than wake you up.