This document is not current, and is kept only for archival purposes. Please refer to Everything2 Help for all up-do-date help documents.



Q: What's the deal with home nodes?


A: Every Everything noder gets their own home node. It's a completely separate node that only you can add stuff to. Many noders use their home node as a quick bio--if someone reads one of your nodes and wants to know more about the person who wrote it, they can go to your home node and (hopefully) get some more info. You can list your e-mail address, you can talk about your favorite things, you can detail your beliefs and philosophy, you can list a bunch of your favorite nodes. Almost anything you want, you can put it here.


Q: Cool. How do I get to it?


A: Click on your name in the Epicenter nodelet and you'll get whisked right to your home node.


Q: Mmmkay. How do I put my home node together? Change my password?


A: Look for the little link that says "edit" and click on that. You'll get taken to a page that lets you add or edit your information. You can change your password (if you change your password, log back in immediately with the new one), update your e-mail address, fill in the boxes for your Specialties, Company, Motto, and Mission Drive, and add your chosen flavor text. When you've added what you want to add, just click "Stumbit", and you're done!


Q: I've seen some home nodes that have pictures on them. How do I get one of those?


A: Not everyone gets a picture. You have to be at least Level 6 to be able to add a photo, and even then, there are some things you shouldn't do. The picture you use shouldn't be larger than 80K (with a suggested width of 350 pixels), it can't be pornographic, and it should be something that isn't copyrighted. It can be something you made yourself, a photo that you own, something that is public record, or something that you have permission to use. If you use a copyrighted image without permission and the owners contact Everything to complain, your picture will get yanked.

To add a picture, just click on the "edit" link in the empty square on the left of your home node and upload the picture you want to use from your computer. Then click "Sumbit" and you're finished! Wow! It's EASY!


Q: I've also seen some home nodes that list a bunch of "User Bookmarks". What's up with those?


A: User Bookmarks are just some links that you can display on your home node. They can be some of your favorite writeups--either your own or someone else's--or they can include important information about you (or about Everything or anything else) that you want to spotlight. Some noders list a bunch of bookmarks, some list only a few, some list none at all.


Making a bookmark is easy. Go to the node you want to bookmark (it's easier to bookmark an entire node than it is to bookmark an individual writeup) and click on the "bookmark" link in your "Epicenter" nodelet. That's all you gotta do!

If you want to remove one of your bookmarks, go to your home node, click "edit", check off the bookmarks you don't want, and hit "Stumbit".

Q: Can I view everybody's home node images?

A: (thanks to ryano and Accipiter for answering this one)

This is a feature not currently available on Everything2, a virtual rogue's gallery of the pictures noders choose to put on their homenodes, presented as a series of thumbnails for easy browsing. However, this absent functionality can be easily replicated with the help of Google's experimental image search facility:

  1. Visit the site http://images.google.com/
  2. Enter the search string "site:everything2.com everything2" and hit the "Google Search" button.
  3. You are rewarded with no results! Boo!
  4. Don't Panic - click the little link that says "Mature content filter is on".
  5. This turns the mature content filter off, and you are rewarded with about 10 pages of homenode pics, past and present. If you skip to the final pages of results, you will find all sorts of E2 widgetry you never knew existed.
  6. There is no 6th step!

Alternatively, of course, you could simply copy and paste the following URL into your browser:

http://images.google.com/images?q=site:everything2.com+everything2&safe=off&imgsafe=off

Is nothing on E2 safe from Google?

Otherwise, just check out the following URL:

http://everything2.com/images/userincoming/






//-=-\\
Nodespotting
\\-=-//




Choose Everything. Choose slacking on the job. Choose a lousy career with little responsibility. Choose a distant family. Choose a good username, choose the Jukka theme, choose a big fucking monitor, cars with E2 bumper stickers and electrical coffee makers...choose XP whoring and wondering why the fuck you are noding on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting in that swivel chair, reading mind-numbing, spirit-crushing writeups, stuffing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in some miserable node, nothing more than an embarassment to the selfish, fucked-up newbies EDB spawned to replace the M-noders.

Choose your future. Choose Everything.




back to
Everything FAQ