In the year 1564...
- Miguel López de Legaspi, commanding an expedition from New Spain, begins the Spanish conquest of the Philippines.
- Pope Pius IV issues a papal bull, Benedictus Deus, confirming the reforms of the Council of Trent, which had concluded the year before.
- French Huguenots under René de Laudonnière establish the colony of Fort Caroline in Florida, challenging Spanish dominance in the region.
- Japanese warlords Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin face each other for the fifth and final time at the Fifth Battle of Kawanakajima, which ends in yet another draw.
- Work begins on the Tuileries palace in Paris, at the behest of Catherine de Medici
- Cremona craftsman Andrea Amati, founder of the famous Amati family of violinmakers, makes his first violin. Amati is credited with the basic design of the modern violin.
These people were born in 1564:
These people died in 1564:
1563 - 1564 - 1565