1996 album by The Promise Ring on Jade Tree Records.

This album, despite only listening to it twice, and owning it for just over 3 hours, is very special to me. I'm 16, have a girlfriend for the first time, and just may or may not be in love. The album is filled with sparkling descriptions of places I've never been, but evoke a feeling of nostalgia anyways; people I've never met but could have known for years; and situations that I could have lived a thousand times over. It's not a happy record, but it's not any bullshit doom and gloom crap either. It's real, to me.

"Scenes From France In General." I am the guy this song is about, wishing I was elsewhere, "...to dream of a duel, speaking furious in Latin, the scald scar of water..."

"A Picture Postcard." How many times have I felt unsure about how to act with my girlfriend? This song expresses it for me, wonderfully... "If I put my hands to your stomach, or put my lips to your hand..." Can't you understand?

A full tracklist for those too cheap to go out and buy the album:

  1. Everywhere In Denver
  2. Red Paint
  3. Heart of a Broken Story
  4. Scenes from France
  5. Anne You Will Sing
  6. My Firetower Flame
  7. Between Pacific Coasts
  8. A Picture Postcard
  9. Somebody's Done For
  10. The Sea of Cortez
  11. Run Down The Waterfall
  12. We Don't Like Romance (instrumental)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.