An anthropologist may tell you that holding a stone in your hand allows you to recover the ancient memory of an ancestor who once held a stone like this one. Is a stone a piece of content? A modern domesticated, urbanized human may pass many moons without picking up a stone. The memory is never lost, but it sleeps.

But the craving for content persists. Many modern humans consume synthetic, prefabricated content - music, television and film, games. They come to think of prefab as the only kind of content. They forget about earth, fire, water, air. The use of a client device, or vehicle, is almost always needed to consume media: a television, mp3 player, a game platform. I'm just spinning my wheels here. There are things we consume which might be called media - food, live music, sports - that require only eyes, ears, and mouths. It will be useful here to say a dining table with plates and forks is a client or vehicle for consuming food.

A vehicle in another sense is a car a person drives to work. The car consumes fuel, the driver consumes the road and everything on it through her eyes, ears, and body. She sees the signs, the lines, the people outside and other cars, the cityscape or countryside, the whole scene shifting around under the sky. It can be stimulating to the brain to cosume the road on this journey; anyone who drives must confess to enjoy it on occasion.

A bicycle is another vehicle. The rider sees the pavement passing under him, the edge of the pavement, wildflowers on the edge of a field, the smell of diesel, rabbits and snails crossing over the pavement. The journey by bicycle takes longer, and there is more to consume (than the same journey by car). The journey feeds the rider's craving for content. I'm just spinning my wheels here.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.