Originally named The Golden Gate Rhythm Section, Journey was a hard rockin' band of the late 70's and early 80's. After a few unsuccessful albums, the band replaced its original front man with lead singer Steve Perry. The band's first album with Perry, "Infinity", scored the hits "Wheel In The Sky", "Anytime", and "Lights", a song about their native San Francisco.

Drummer Steve Smith joined the band in 1978, but the next two albums, "Evolution" and "Departure" faltered slightly, scoring only two hits in "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" and "Any Way You Want It". The addition of Jonathan Cain on keyboards in 1981 would change Journey's sound dramatically.

Cain co-wrote the band's next and most successful album, "Escape". "Escape" featured "Who's Crying Now", "Don't Stop Believin'", and the ballad "Open Arms", reached #1 on the Billboard charts, and sold over 9 million copies.

1983's "Frontiers" would do nearly as well, with songs like "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" and "Faithfully". After releasing "Frontiers", the band went on hiatus to work on solo projects, the most successful of which was Perry's album "Street Talk", highlighted by the single "Oh, Sherrie".

Unfortunately, the time off hurt the band, and major problems arose once they returned to the studio. Smith and bassist Ross Valory were ousted from the band, and the remaining trio released the subpar effort "Raised On Radio" This was to be the last album of new material Journey would release for quite a while...

The band released a Greatest Hits album and a box set "Time3", but had yet to record any new material, until 1996, when Smith and Valory reunited with Perry, Cain, and guitarist Neal Schon to record "Trial By Fire". The album reached #3 on the charts, but Perry was unable to tour with the band due to health problems. The band replaced him with Steve Augeri, and when Smith returned to his jazz band, Bad English drummer Deen Castronovo joined the band. Journey hit the road once more, beginning a new chapter in the saga of the band.

Jour"ney (?), n.; pl. Journeys (#). [OE. jornee, journee, prop., a day's journey, OF. jorn'ee, jurn'ee, a day, a day's work of journey, F. journ'ee, fr. OF. jorn, jurn, jor a day, F. jour, fr. L. diurnus. See Journal.]

1.

The travel or work of a day.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

We have yet large day, for scarce the sun Hath finished half his journey. Milton.

2.

Travel or passage from one place to another; hence, figuratively, a passage through life.

The good man . . . is gone a long journey. Prov. vii. 19.

We must all have the same journey's end. Bp. Stillingfleet.

Syn. -- Tour; excursion; trip; expedition; pilgrimage. -- Journey, Tour, Excursion, Pilgrimage. The word journey suggests the idea of a somewhat prolonged traveling for a specific object, leading a person to pass directly from one point to another. In a tour, we take a roundabout course from place to place, more commonly for pleasure, though sometimes on business. An excursion is usually a brief tour or trip for pleasure, health, etc. In a pilgrimage we travel to a place hallowed by our religions affections, or by some train of sacred or tender associations. A journey on important business; the tour of Europe; an excursion to the lakes; a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jour"ney, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Journeyed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Journeying.]

To travel from place to place; to go from home to a distance.

Abram journeyed, going on still toward the south. Gen. xii. 9.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jour"ney, v. t.

To traverse; to travel over or through.

[R.] "I journeyed many a land."

Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.