In the game of baseball, getting a single involves hitting the ball into play and getting to first base. Pete Rose has reached first base more than any other baseball player in history, but still is not in the Hall of Fame. It's a damn shame.

A song off an album that gets radio play, which the average idiot equates with the band and with the album. Some people buy CDs just for the single they've heard on the radio, expecting the entire album to sound like the one song, and then complain when that is not the case. This problem is avoided by not listening to the radio at all, and instead going by word-of-mouth among people who listen to the same kind of music you do.

The only place in the sport of rowing for a loner. Every other event in rowing can be referred to as crew, but only one rower powers the shell in this one man boat.

Weighing a bit less than 30 pounds, and only 14 inches across at its widest point, a single scull is a 27 foot long needle which takes extreme skill and practice to balance. Pertti Karpinnen, the great Finnish sculler, won three straight Olympic golds in the single, in Montreal, Moscow, and Los Angeles.

Jack Kelly, both Senior and Junior, were great rowers, representing the United States at the Olympic Games in 1924 and 1956, respectively. Jack Kelly, Sr., was married to Princess Grace Kelly, and was denied the right to race in the prestigious Henley-on-Thames Royal Regatta because he had once worked as a bricklayer. Jack Jr. won the Diamond Sculls on behalf of his father in the 1950s.

Sin"gle (?), a. [L. singulus, a dim. from the root in simplex simple; cf. OE. & OF. sengle, fr. L. singulus. See Simple, and cf. Singular.]

1.

One only, as distinguished from more than one; consisting of one alone; individual; separate; as, a single star.

No single man is born with a right of controlling the opinions of all the rest. Pope.

2.

Alone; having no companion.

Who single hast maintained, Against revolted multitudes, the cause Of truth. Milton.

3.

Hence, unmarried; as, a single man or woman.

Grows, lives, and dies in single blessedness. Shak.

Single chose to live, and shunned to wed. Dryden.

4.

Not doubled, twisted together, or combined with others; as, a single thread; a single strand of a rope.

5.

Performed by one person, or one on each side; as, a single combat.

These shifts refuted, answer thy appellant, . . . Who now defles thee thrice ti single fight. Milton.

6.

Uncompounded; pure; unmixed.

Simple ideas are opposed to complex, and single to compound. I. Watts.

7.

Not deceitful or artful; honest; sincere.

I speak it with a single heart. Shak.

8.

Simple; not wise; weak; silly.

[Obs.]

He utters such single matter in so infantly a voice. Beau & Fl.

Single ale, beer, ∨ drink, small ale, etc., as contrasted with double ale, etc., which is stronger. [Obs.] Nares. -- Single bill Law, a written engagement, generally under seal, for the payment of money, without a penalty. Burril. -- Single court Lawn Tennis, a court laid out for only two players. -- Single-cut file. See the Note under 4th File. -- Single entry. See under Bookkeeping. -- Single file. See under 1st File. -- Single flower Bot., a flower with but one set of petals, as a wild rose. -- Single knot. See Illust. under Knot. -- Single whip Naut., a single rope running through a fixed block.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sin"gle, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Singled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Singling (?).]

1.

To select, as an individual person or thing, from among a number; to choose out from others; to separate.

Dogs who hereby can single out their master in the dark. Bacon.

His blood! she faintly screamed her mind Still singling one from all mankind. More.

2.

To sequester; to withdraw; to retire.

[Obs.]

An agent singling itself from consorts. Hooker.

3.

To take alone, or one by one.

Men . . . commendable when they are singled. Hooker.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sin"gle, v. i.

To take the irrregular gait called single-foot;- said of a horse. See Single-foot.

Many very fleet horses, when overdriven, adopt a disagreeable gait, which seems to be a cross between a pace and a trot, in which the two legs of one side are raised almost but not quite, simultaneously. Such horses are said to single, or to be single-footed. W. S. Clark.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sin"gle, n.

1.

A unit; one; as, to score a single.

2. pl.

The reeled filaments of silk, twisted without doubling to give them firmness.

3.

A handful of gleaned grain.

[Prov. Eng. & Scot.]

4. LawTennis

A game with but one player on each side; -- usually in the plural.

5. Baseball

A hit by a batter which enables him to reach first base only.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.