Earlier this week, I was driving back to my apartment after what seemed like a lengthy Easter visit (actually, only five days). On this drive, I pass many different billboards. One billboard in particular caught my eye. It said:

Join the CLERGY!!!

I have traveled the route to my family’s house in Hyde Park, NY several times – never before seeing this billboard.

Come and join me in a dream sequence

A young man is driving on a highway. He is thinking about his future. He just isn’t sure what he wants to do. He knows that there are many different professions that could suit him… but what should he pick? And then, BAM!

Join the CLERGY!!!

He now knows what he will do -- All because of a billboard.

Exit dream sequence

The clergy wants people to join them who look for guidance from billboards? I know that I wouldn’t want to work with a teacher who decided that was his or her calling after reading a billboard. It’s a good thing person didn’t see the next billboard down that said “Memories Gift Shop. For You and Your Home. 23 Miles.” For all we know, that young guy would be working at Memories for the rest of his life.

Bill"board` (?), n.

1. Naut.

A piece of thick plank, armed with iron plates, and fixed on the bow or fore channels of a vessel, for the bill or fluke of the anchor to rest on.

Totten.

2.

A flat surface, as of a panel or of a fence, on which bills are posted; a bulletin board.

<-- esp. a large board on which the space is rented for advertising purposes. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.