A real symmetric n * n matrix has n eigenvalues (including geometric multiplicity)

In particular, such a matrix is diagonalizable, and even by an orthogonal basis.
Proof:
Let M be such a matrix.

For n=1, M is simply a scalar, and the statement is obvious.

So suppose the statement is true for n-1, and prove it for n * n matrices. We first wish to show M has a real eigenvalue (not all real matrices do!). To this end, consider f(v) = (Mv, v), as a function from the unit sphere of R^n to R. Since the sphere is compact, f attains global extrema, say at some unit vector u. But deriving f, we see that (grad f)(v) = 2Mv; by the Lagrange multiplier rule, at any extremum of f, grad f is in the direction of the normal to the sphere. Since the normal to the sphere at v is in the direction of v, it follows that at the extremum u, Mu = mu for some scalar m. But that means u is an eigenvalue of M.

Now we shall "deflate" M to an (n-1)*(n-1) symmetric matrix M', and apply the induction hypothesis. Let V' = {v | (u,v)=0} be the orthogonal complement of V (dim V' = n-1). All we must show is that M|V' (M, restricted to act only on V') is a symmetric matrix; applying the induction hypothesis, it has n-1 distinct eigenvectors, and along with u, M has n distinct eigenvectors, hence it has n distinct eigenvalues counting multiplicity.

Pick any orthonormal basis {w_1,...,w_{n-1}} for V'. Then {w_1,...,w_{n-1},u} is a basis for V. Representing the operator M by that basis, we still have a symmetric matrix, but (since u is an eigenvector) we know that the last row/column is (0,...,0,m). Dropping the last row and column, we see that M' is an operator from V' to V', and that it is represented by a symmetric matrix in some basis, so it is symmetric. Thus the induction hypothesis holds, and we are done.

QED.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.