A vector of elements reaching from the left side to the right side of a two-dimensional matrix. Cf. column.

The distinction between rows and columns is important because given the most common row-major storage for matrices, it's easier for a processor to cache rows of a matrix than columns. An old SPEC benchmark for memory system performance did matrix multiplication the "wrong" way to measure memory bandwidth; compilers flipped the loops into a form much easier on the cache.

Row (?), a. & adv. [See Rough.]

Rough; stern; angry.

[Obs.] "Lock he never so row."

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Row, n. [Abbrev. fr. rouse, n.]

A noisy, turbulent quarrel or disturbance; a brawl.

[Colloq.]

Byron.

 

© Webster 1913.


Row (?), n. [OE. rowe, rawe, rewe, AS. raw, rw; probably akin to D. rij, G. reihe; cf. Skr. rkha a line, stroke.]

A series of persons or things arranged in a continued line; a line; a rank; a file; as, a row of trees; a row of houses or columns.

And there were windows in three rows. 1 Kings vii. 4.

The bright seraphim in burning row. Milton.

Row culture Agric., the practice of cultivating crops in drills. -- Row of points Geom., the points on a line, infinite in number, as the points in which a pencil of rays is intersected by a line.

 

© Webster 1913.


Row (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Rowed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Rowing.] [AS. rwan; akin to D. roeijen, MHG. ruejen, Dan. roe, Sw. ro, Icel. ra, L. remus oar, Gr. , Skr. aritra. &root;8. Cf. Rudder.]

1.

To propel with oars, as a boat or vessel, along the surface of water; as, to row a boat.

2.

To transport in a boat propelled with oars; as, to row the captain ashore in his barge.

 

© Webster 1913.


Row, v. i.

1.

To use the oar; as, to row well.

2.

To be moved by oars; as, the boat rows easily.

 

© Webster 1913.


Row, n.

The act of rowing; excursion in a rowboat.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.