In short, fish eggs. Plain and simple. A lot of people think it's the term caviar that refers to fish eggs, but caviar most technically refers to only sturgeon eggs, is lightly salted, and is for human consumption. Other eggs can be sold as "caviar" but must be labled as "salmon caviar" "tuna caviar", etc. Only the sturgeon egg is given the proper unaltered name.

Amphibian eggs are also technically roe, but are more often called just the generic spawn. And while roe applies, properly, to all fish eggs, it is generally used for the egg-scatterers who let loose huge spawns and leave the eggs be. Eggs for fish that tend their eggs/young are often called either a spawn or a clutch, and the offspring of livebearers, since the eggs are held inside the mother and never seen by the breeder, are usually called a litter.

Roe, not the delicacy of its salted classy cousin, is often used in japanese cooking, most notably sushi and maki rolls, although it will make its appearance in other dishes--and even other cuisines--from time to time.

Return On Equity.

ROE is a financial ratio. ROE is used to determine how well a company uses the money invested in it. ROE is obtained by dividing company’s fiscal year’s after tax income, after preferred stock dividends(but not common stock dividends), by its book value. To determine if a companies ROE is good or bad, it should be compared to other companies in the same industry.

Roe (?), n. [OE. ro, AS. rah; akin to D. ree, G. reh, Icel. ra, SW. r�x86;.] Zool. (a)

A roebuck. See Roebuck.


The female of any species of deer.


© Webster 1913.

Roe, n. [For roan, OE. rowne, akin to G. rogen, OHG. rogan, Icel. hrogn, Dan. rogn, ravn, Sw. rom; of uncertain origin; cf. Gr. pebble, Skr. arkara gravel.]

1. Zool.

The ova or spawn of fishes and amphibians, especially when still inclosed in the ovarian membranes. Sometimes applied, loosely, to the sperm and the testes of the male.


A mottled appearance of light and shade in wood, especially in mahogany.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.