An instruction on the 8086 processor known as Add with Carry. ADC adds the source operand and the carry flag to the destination operand and stores the result in the destination operand. One powerful use for the ADC instruction is that it can be used to do infinite precision arithmetic: through repeated calls to ADC and strict observance of the carry flag one can add any size number they wish.

A 6502 instruction that performs addition, normally in binary. In 6502 processors with decimal mode, ADC adds in binary or packed binary-coded decimal depending on the decimal flag. To add without carry, insert a CLC instruction before ADC.
  • Function: A + N + C => A
  • Updates flags: S V . . . . Z C
  • Opcode numbers:
    (d,x) $61
    dp    $65
    imm   $69
    abs   $6D
    (d),y $71
    d,x   $75
    a,y   $79
    a,x   $7D
    

Similar: SBC
See also: 6502 instructions | 6502 addressing modes


also...
Apple Display Connector

A proprietary video interface introduced by Apple Computer with the G4 Cube, it has appeared on every Powermac since.

The ADC connector is actually a superset of the DVI interface, though not backward-compatible. ADC carries a standard DVI video signal on its pins, accompanied by power and USB pins. This gives the advantage of a single cable connecting the CPU and the display, while allowing the CPU to power the display and allowing the display to incorporate USB ports.

As of August, 2002, all of Apple's displays have ADC-terminated cables, and can only be used with an ADC video card, though DVI to ADC converters have recently become available, which consolidate separate DVI video, power and USB inputs into a single ADC output.

nVidia and ATI currently manufacture ADC video cards as original equipment for Apple's Powermac line (as of 7/2002 the nVidia GeForce 4 MX and GeForce 4 Ti are available, as well as ATI's Radeon 7500 and 8500).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.