To show or output to a monitor or screen. Any visual output. You display a presentation.

An image display program, somewhat smoother than xv but less polished than gqview. Part of the unique grab bag of image tools called Image Magick.

Close buddy of animate, convolve, mogrify, it wins the prize for the most generic program name.

In X Window System terminology, a display is an X server. A display can have more than one screen. The format for a display specifier string is like this:
    host:dpynumber[.screen]

For example, tftv:0.0 is display 0, screen 0, on machine tftv. tftv:0 is just plain display 0, no screen specified. If no host is specified, it's localhost.

The $DISPLAY environment variable is the default display. You can specify a specific display with most programs by giving it a -display dpyname arg. GDK (and thus also GTK+) apps take --display, not -display.

A display is done through a socket opened with Xlib call XOpenDisplay(char*), and closed with XCloseDisplay(Display*).
Back to CSS1 Reference | CSS1 Properties
Prev color | Next float


Property
display
Values
block, inline, list-item, none
Initial
block
Inherited
no

This property describes how/if an element is displayed on the canvas (which may be on a printed page, a computer display etc.).

An element with a 'display' value of 'block' opens a new box. The box is positioned relative to adjacent boxes according to the CSS . Typically, elements like 'H1' and 'P' are of type 'block'. A value of 'list-item' is similar to 'block' except that a list-item marker is added. In HTML, 'LI' will typically have this value.

An element with a 'display' value of 'inline' results in a new inline box on the same line as the previous content. The box is dimensioned according to the formatted size of the content. If the content is text, it may span several lines, and there will be a box on each line. The 'margin', 'border' and 'padding' properties apply to 'inline' elements, but will not have any effect at the line breaks.

A value of 'none' turns off the display of the element, including children elements and the surrounding box.

      P { display: block }
      EM { display: inline }
      LI { display: list-item }
      IMG { display: none }

The last rule turns off the display of images.

The initial value of 'display' is 'block', but a UA will typically have default values for all HTML elements according to the suggested rendering of elements in the HTML specification.

CSS1 core: UAs may ignore 'display' and use only the UA's default values.

Dis*play" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Displayed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Displaying.] [OE. displaien, desplaien, OF. despleier, desploier, F. d'eployer; pref. des- (L. dis-) + pleier, ploier, plier, F. ployer, plier, to fold, bend, L. plicare. See Ply, and cf. Deploy, Splay.]

1.

To unfold; to spread wide; to expand; to stretch out; to spread.

The northern wind his wings did broad display. Spenser.

2. Mil.

To extend the front of (a column), bringing it into line.

Farrow.

3.

To spread before the view; to show; to exhibit to the sight, or to the mind; to make manifest.

His statement . . . displays very clearly the actual condition of the army. Burke.

4.

To make an exhibition of; to set in view conspicuously or ostentatiously; to exhibit for the sake of publicity; to parade.

Proudly displaying the insignia of their order. Prescott.

5. Print.

To make conspicuous by large or prominent type.

6.

To discover; to descry.

[Obs.]

And from his seat took pleasure to display The city so adorned with towers. Chapman.

Syn. -- To exhibit; show; manifest; spread out; parade; expand; flaunt.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*play", v. i.

To make a display; to act as one making a show or demonstration.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*play", n.

1.

An opening or unfolding; exhibition; manifestation.

Having witnessed displays of his power and grace. Trench.

2.

Ostentatious show; exhibition for effect; parade.

He died, as erring man should die, Without display, without parade. Byron.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.