A computer system on a network that is allows one or more users to login, and utilize its resources. Typically, a host will be an endpoint on the network; in other words, it will typically not be a router. In the OSI reference model, a host is a box on which application layer functions are performed.

In the TCP/IP world (the Internet, more or less), a host should conform to the Host Requirements document, STD 3.

It occurred to me, shortly after obtaining the high social status as a Hostess of Denny's, that some of the general populace disrespects being seated. Perhaps it is because they do not seem to understand the function and use of a host or hostess in a restaurant.

There are many reasons why a host is employed - however two particulars stand out above the rest. Every establishment is different, but this will be a generalization of how a typical restaurant works.

                 The floor is the division of tables into sections, usually determined by how many servers are available. Each section has an appropriate number of tables for that particular server. A host attempts to seat each section in order. The whole restaurant moves smoothly by keeping the servers steady and able to give the best service.

  • A host maintains the flow of customers in a controlled manner

                The host acts as a safeguard to keep the servers from becoming too busy. An overworked server cannot give as good of service as possible. Even if there are open tables, a host may make a list at the door and refrain from seating more customers. This is to ensure that not only are the servers performing as they should, but that the kitchen is not overwhelmed by too many demands of food.

The next time you seat yourself or ask for a particular table keep these facts in mind. The host is trying to put you where you will get the best service. If you would like to sacrifice good service for your actions, then so be it. But tread lightly as you incur the wrath of the Host or Hostess.

Host (hOst), n. [LL. hostia sacrifice, victim, from hostire to strike.] (R. C. Ch.)

The consecrated wafer, believed to be the body of Christ, which in the Mass is offered as a sacrifice; also, the bread before consecration.

⇒ In the Latin Vulgate the word was applied to the Savior as being an offering for the sins of men.

 

© Webster 1913


Host, n. [OE. host, ost, OF. host, ost, fr. L. hostis enemy, LL., army. See Guest, and cf. Host a landlord.]

1.

An army; a number of men gathered for war.

A host so great as covered all the field.
Dryden.

2.

Any great number or multitude; a throng.

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God.
Luke ii. 13.

All at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils.
Wordsworth.

 

© Webster 1913


Host, n. [OE. host, ost, OF. hoste, oste, F. hote, from L. hospes a stranger who is treated as a guest, he who treats another as his guest, a hostl prob. fr. hostis stranger, enemy (akin to E. guest a visitor) + potis able; akin to Skr. pati master, lord. See Host an army, Possible, and cf. Hospitable, Hotel.]

One who receives or entertains another, whether gratuitously or for compensation; one from whom another receives food, lodging, or entertainment; a landlord. Chaucer. "Fair host and Earl." Tennyson.

Time is like a fashionable host,
That slightly shakes his parting guest by the hand.
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Host, v. t.

To give entertainment to. [Obs.] Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913


Host, v. i.

To lodge at an inn; to take up entertainment. [Obs.] "Where you shall host." Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Host, n. (Biol.)

Any animal or plant affording lodgment or subsistence to a parasitic or commensal organism. Thus a tree is a host of an air plant growing upon it.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.