An AMC Mark is an Allied Military Currency Mark, and is sometimes known as 'German AMC.' This was a form of currency issued for use inside occupied Germany during World War II by the occupying powers - the United States, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, the United Kingdom, and France. Allied military personnel were paid in AMC marks; local supplies were purchased with them. In 1948, the U.S. and U.K. replaced the AMC Mark and earlier Reichsmark with the newly-created currency the Deutschmark within their newly-joined Zones of responsibility, known as the Bizone.

AMC Marks were printed in the United States by Forbes Lithographic Corp, of Chelsea, Massachusetts on plates produced by the U.S. Bureau of Engraving. The Bureau also provided glass positives of these plates, along with some sample AMC Mark notes, to the Soviet Union, to permit them to print identical currency for use by their own troops within Germany. The USSR and U.S. notes were distinct via serial number range differences, in most cases.

Most AMC Marks found carry a printed issue date of 1944. Those printed in the United States can be identified by the Forbes' printer's mark of a small cartouched 'F' near the perimeter of the bills.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.