Not a song by the Shamen, but an astounding figure who rose to prominence during the great social and religious upheavals attending the English Civil War in the seventeenth century. Part of a rowdy radical sect of drinkers and swearers known as the Ranters.

There's some pages about him in historian Christopher Hill's fascinating book The World Turned Upside Down, where I took most of this from. Apparently Coppe was an Oxford scholar who became a preacher to a garrison of the New Model Army.

He published the tract "Some Sweet Sips of some Spiirituall Wine" in 1649, but was better known for the two later Fiery Flying Rolls - condemned in parliament for the 'many horrid blasphemies' they contained. Coppe's was a message of "universal love,universal peace,and perfect freedom. He was a pacifist, but not a quietist as were some Quakers. He asserted that:

"The laying of nets, traps and snares for the feet of our neighbours is a sin, whether men imagine it to be so or no; and so is the not undoing of heavy burdens, the not letting the oppressed go free, the not healing every yoke, and the not dealing of bread to the hungry"
and that
"evil and good the Lord does bless".

Personally, I see him as some sort of English Bodhisattva. These words quoted by Hill are reminiscent of descriptions by Buddhist practicioners of the realisation that comes after practice. If enlightenment and triumph over the confines of self is indeed attainable and as described then parallels ought to exist in cultures and times where Buddhist 'religious' discourse was unknown.

"Wholly he's resigned
Unto the unconfined...
When self is swept away and gone
He says and lives, God's will be done."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.