Afallach: av-AHL-akh
Welsh, from "afal"--apple: The One of Apples.

King of the isle which bears his name--Afallach, Latinized as "Avallo" and "Avalania" which has since been Angliziced as "Avalon." He is one of the kings of the Otherworld; in some literature, he is replaced by his nephew Gwyn ap Nudd as king of Avalon, which is identified with Glastonbury Tor. His daughter if Modron, mother of Mabon ap Modron.*

As king of Avalon, he appears in Le Morte d'Arthur as Evelake/Mordrains, who would live from the time of Christ until the coming of the Grail Knights to release him from this existence. He is a double of the Fisher King, then, and is possibly the Children of Don's version of the Fisher King, which is usually identified with the better known Bendigedfran ap Llyr, aka Bran or Bran the Blessed, called Brons by Robert de Boron.


Modron is in later texts said to be the wife of Uriens of Gorre, Gorre sometimes identified with Glastonbury. In later texts, the wife of Uriens is Morgan le Fay, which leads to the conclusion that Morgan le Fay, half-sister of Arthur, is a euhemerized goddess, Modron, daughter of the King of Avalon, and hense she is also the Lady of the Lake.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.