One of the most famous photographers of the 20th century. His works helped promote the cause of national parks and the conservation of America.

Born on February 2, 1902, Ansel Easton Adams. At the age of 14 his family took a trip to Yosemite National Park. On that trip Adams began his lifelong passion, photography. It was also following this trip that Adams journeyed every summer to Yosemite, working and taking photos.

By 1927, Adams published his first portfolio, Parmelian Prints of the High Sierras. Books, articles, calendars, etc. soon followed. He had also become involved with the Sierra Club becoming its first custodian and eventually rising to the title of director and a year later married Virginia Best the daughter of a Yosemite gift shop owner. Best had accompanied him on many trips and shared the joys of parenthood with him.

Throughout his life Ansel Adams was dedicated to the preservation of nature as a lifelong member, contributor, and director of the Sierra Club. Adams also helped establish many educational opportunities for photographers.

In 1963 he recieved the John Muir Award from the Sierra Cluba well as the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Jimmy Carter, and many other awards, fellowships, and honorary doctorate degrees throughout his lifetime.

Adams died of cancer and heart failure in 1984, but his legacy lives on in his work. The United States government even made a tribute to the beloved man...creating the Ansel Adams Wilderness Area not long after he passed away.


Sources

http://www.boulevardprinters.com/bio-ansel-adams.html

http://www.filmpicker.com/The%20Great%20Photographers/Ansel%20Adams.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.