Nature
Beauty remains eternal
A never-never experience
Flavors perennial Earth
To end reality's sense

I wrote this poem in eighth grade. I remember liking it quite a lot. It was inspired by some girl I was "going out with" at the time, and in fact you might get a clue as to who that was if you look closely at the first letter of every word, and understand that I needed the middle initial to make it work out properly. Fern is rather a nice middle name, if you ask me.

Anyway, I never told this girl the signifigance of the poem (she broke up with me soon after its completion). Sometimes I wonder just exactly it is that goes on im my head, because I think somehow I got left out of the loop.

Nathan Hale = N = neat hack

nature n.

See has the X nature.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Nature is the flagship publication of the Nature Publishing Group, the scientific arm of Macmillan Publishers Ltd. The journal was established in 1869 and there are currently 51 issues published each year (published weekly, skipping one publication for Christmas).

The scope of the papers published in Nature is vast. They will publish any paper from any branch of science if it has great potential impact. The long standing and excellent reputation of the journal lets them select papers of the highest quality (their rejection rate is upwards of 95 percent, as compared to roughly 50 percent or less for most journals). This highly competitive selection procedure keeps the journal's impact factor higher than any other interdisciplinary scientific journal.

The journal also publishes some informal articles in a variety of different sections, such as Opinion, News, Briefings, Recruitment, Book Reviews and Commentary.

The journal has published all of its material online since 1997, and with a subscription the publications can be obtained at http://www.nature.com.

Na"ture (?; 135), n. [F., fr. L. natura, fr. natus born, produced, p.p. of nasci to be born. See Nation.]

1.

The existing system of things; the world of matter, or of matter and mind; the creation; the universe.

But looks through nature up to nature's God. Pope.

Nature has caprices which art can not imitate. Macaulay.

2.

The personified sum and order of causes and effects; the powers which produce existing phenomena, whether in the total or in detail; the agencies which carry on the processes of creation or of being; -- often conceived of as a single and separate entity, embodying the total of all finite agencies and forces as disconnected from a creating or ordering intelligence.

I oft admire How Nature, wise and frugal, could commit Such disproportions. Milton.

3.

The established or regular course of things; usual order of events; connection of cause and effect.

4.

Conformity to that which is natural, as distinguished from that which is artifical, or forced, or remote from actual experience.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. Shak.

5.

The sum of qualities and attributes which make a person or thing what it is, as distinct from others; native character; inherent or essential qualities or attributes; peculiar constitution or quality of being.

Thou, therefore, whom thou only canst redeem, Their nature also to thy nature join, And be thyself man among men on earth. Milton.

6.

Hence: Kind, sort; character; quality.

A dispute of this nature caused mischief. Dryden.

7.

Physical constitution or existence; the vital powers; the natural life.

"My days of nature."

Shak.

Oppressed nature sleeps. Shak.

8.

Natural affection or reverence.

Have we not seen The murdering son ascend his parent's bed, Through violated nature foce his way? Pope.

9.

Constitution or quality of mind or character.

A born devil, on whose nature Nurture can never stick. Shak.

That reverence which is due to a superior nature. Addison.

Good nature, Ill nature. see under Good and Ill. -- In a state of nature. (a) Naked as when born; nude. (b) In a condition of sin; unregenerate. (c) Untamed; uncvilized. -- Nature printng, a process of printing from metallic or other plates which have received an impression, as by heavy pressure, of an object such as a leaf, lace, or the like. -- Nature worship, the worship of the personified powers of nature. -- To pay the debt of nature, to die.

 

© Webster 1913.


Na"ture, v. t.

To endow with natural qualities.

[Obs.]

He [God] which natureth every kind. Gower.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.