NCAA Division I athletic conference (Division I-AA for football), and yet another conference that can't count its members properly (see Big 10).

The strange dual nature of this conference is because the football conference was originally a standalone called the Yankee Conference, which merged with the A-10 when NCAA rules were changed so that independent football conferences would lose their voice within the legislative process.

Basketball/non-revenue sports conference:

Football:

The Atlantic 10, a Division I conference of the NCAA, has been around in various forms since March 2, 1975. Originally it was called the Eastern Collegiate Basketball League (ECBL). In 1977 it changed its name to the Eastern Athletic Association also known as the Eastern 8. It has had teams come and go over the years. And once its membership stabilized in the 80s it changes its name to the current Altlantic 10 Conference.

The schools in this conference compete in a wide range of sports: Men's and women's basketball, football, baseball, cross country, field hockey, golf, gymnastics, lacrosse, rowing, men's and women's soccer, softball, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, and volleyball.

Back to NCAA Division I

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.