August's birthstone is Sardonyx
August's flower is the Poppy
Some odd people have named it the 'Beat the Heat Month'.

August was originally named Sextilis in the Roman calendar, an appropriate name for the sixth month. Emporer Augustus chose to rename it after himself; oddly, he was born in September, not August, but he chose to give his name to August because of its reputation as being a time for auspicious events. Augustus then took days out from February and added them to August, in order to make August as long as July (31 days). (July was named in honor of Julius Caesar).

The full moon this month is known as the Green Corn Moon, Corn Moon, Fruit Moon, Grain Moon, or Sturgeon Moon.

Floating Holidays of August

Psychic Week = First week, Sun thru Sat.
Umpire Appreciation Week = First week, Sun thru Sat.
Umpire Appreciation Day = Saturday of Umpire Appreciation Week.
National Smile Week = First week, Mon thru Sun.
National Family Reunion Day = First Sunday. (An older source sez the second Sunday. Go with your gut.)
National Clown Week = First Week of August.

Au*gust" (?), a. [L. augustus; cf. augere to increase; in the language of religion, to honor by offerings: cf. F. auguste. See Augment.]

Of a quality inspiring mingled admiration and reverence; having an aspect of solemn dignity or grandeur; sublime; majestic; having exalted birth, character, state, or authority.

"Forms august." Pope. "August in visage." Dryden. "To shed that august blood." Macaulay.

So beautiful and so august a spectacle. Burke.

To mingle with a body so august. Byron.

Syn. -- Grand; magnificent; majestic; solemn; awful; noble; stately; dignified; imposing.

 

© Webster 1913.


Au"gust (?), n. [L. Augustus. See note below, and August, a.]

The eighth month of the year, containing thirty-one days.

⇒ The old Roman name was Sextilis, the sixth month from March, the month in which the primitive Romans, as well as Jews, began the year. The name was changed to August in honor of Augustus Caesar, the first emperor of Rome, on account of his victories, and his entering on his first consulate in that month.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.