The bacon buddy is a versatile sandwich for any hungry occasion.  Bacon, its defining ingredient, is generally recognized as a breakfast food, however the bacon buddy takes this popular pork product beyond the A.M. period to create a hearty snack for any time.  This sandwich can be characterized as "cheap and cheerful" due to its low cost, quick and easy preparation, and comforting combination of gastronimic attributes.

    This sandwich is traditional English fare and as such it is well suited to manual labour, limited ingredient choices, limited budgets, and cold, damp climates.  It goes as well alongside tea as it does beer.

 

    Also, a note to the purists: Yes.  I know that "bacon butty" is the traditional spelling.  Now, imagine yourself as very high and very hungry.  *cue dream sequence, soft focus, faint harp music*  A delightful hot greasy bacon sandwich is floating through the air towards you on a silver platter (really a paper plate).  Your mouth is watering as a scent of such magnificence as to render you speechless wafts across the kitchen.  I ask you, is such a meal a mere butty, or is it your Buddy?  I feel the answer is clear. 

 

In its most simple form, the recipe for a bacon buddy is as follows:

Ingredients:

- Four strips of bacon (this is a variable quantity, depending on hunger and availability)

- Two slices of bread, or one kaiser roll, halved

Preface to Assembly:

    The Bacon node lists several methods for cooking the meat.  For the correct preparation of a bacon buddy, a generous level of grease must remain after the bacon has been fried.  It is, therefore, up to the user to determine whether their particular bacon is streaky enough to leave behind such grease or whether additional oil will need to be added.

    In keeping with the low-budget roots of this dish, I usually procure cheaper bacon whose greasy content is higher than gourmet offerings that tend to have more meat and less fat.  With this type of bacon I have found it unnecessary to use additional oil, and I use the cold-pan method of cooking the bacon.  This method has the advantage of preserving the maximum amount of grease by helping prevent loss due to splatter and burning.

Assembly:

Place the strips of bacon in a cold medium or large nonstick frying pan

Turn on the stove at medium heat and allow the bacon to cook slowly.  This will allow you greater control over the texture of the bacon as well as developing maximum grease concentration.

Before the bacon reaches your desired state of doneness, but not before a generous amount of grease has developed, carefully move the bacon to one side of the pan.

Tilt the pan, allowing as much grease as possible to accumulate on the side opposite the bacon, which should be near done.

In the greasy, non-bacon side of the pan, place the slices of bread or halved roll.  In the case of a roll, the halves should be placed with the inside down.

As the bacon reaches perfection, the bread is lightly fried and should soak up the grease.  Twenty to thirty seconds is adequate.

Before the bacon burns or the bread becomes overly cooked, remove the bread from the pan.

Place the cooked bacon upon one piece of bread and cover it with the other piece of bread, creating a sandwich form.

Now eat it, but mind the hot drips of grease.

 

Extending the Basic Formula:

    The true beauty of the bacon buddy is its simplicity.  In this simplicity, however, there are also many possibilities for expansion.  Vegetables such as onion, garlic, tomato, mushrooms, etc. make delicious additions when lightly fried in the bacon grease before the bread is introduced.  Such additional ingredients can be pushed to the bacon side of the pan as the bread is cooked and will infuse both bacon and bread with their flavorful juices.

     It is also a short step from the bacon buddy to the more complex and arguably more delicious Bacon, Egg, and Cheese sandwich.  While frying the egg in the collected grease the bread can be placed on top as the egg cooks and will, through adhesion, result in a convenient egg-bread unit to place atop the opposing bacon-bread half of the sandwich.  These two parts will stick best with the cheese placed between them, and the result will be an extremely sturdy sandwich suitable for mobile consumption, should the user see fit.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.