Best (?), a.; superl. of Good. [AS. besta, best, contr. from betest, betst, betsta; akin to Goth. batists, OHG. pezzisto, G. best, beste, D. best, Icel. beztr, Dan. best, Sw. bast. This word has no connection in origin with good. See Better.]

1.

Having good qualities in the highest degree; most good, kind, desirable, suitable, etc.; most excellent; as, the best man; the best road; the best cloth; the best abilities.

When he is best, he is a little worse than a man.
Shak.

Heaven's last, best gift, my ever new delight.
Milton.

2.

Most advanced; most correct or complete; as, the best scholar; the best view of a subject.

3.

Most; largest; as, the best part of a week.

Best man, the only or principal groomsman at a wedding ceremony.

© Webster 1913.


Best, n.

Utmost; highest endeavor or state; most nearly perfect thing, or being, or action; as, to do one's best; to the best of our ability.

At best, in the utmost degree or extent applicable to the case; under the most favorable circumstances; as, life is at best very short. -- For best, finally. [Obs.] "Those constitutions . . . are now established for best, and not to be mended." Milton. -- To get the best of, to gain an advantage over, whether fairly or unfairly. -- To make the best of. (a) To improve to the utmost; to use or dispose of to the greatest advantage. "Let there be freedom to carry their commodities where they can make the best of them." Bacon. (b) To reduce to the least possible inconvenience; as, to make the best of ill fortune or a bad bargain.

© Webster 1913.


Best, adv.; superl. of Well.

1.

In the highest degree; beyond all others.

"Thou serpent! That name best befits thee."

Milton.

He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small.
Coleridge.

2.

To the most advantage; with the most success, case, profit, benefit, or propriety.

Had we best retire? I see a storm.
Milton.

Had I not best go to her?
Thackeray.

3.

Most intimately; most thoroughly or correctly; as, what is expedient is best known to himself.

© Webster 1913.


Best, v. t.

To get the better of.

[Colloq.]

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.