Bruttosozialprodukt is German for gross national product.

No, wait, come back!

Bruttosozialprodukt was also a number one hit for the Neue Deutsche Welle band Geier Sturzflug, and spent four weeks at the top of the charts in 1983.

Yeah, okay, you can leave now.


Ja jetzt wird wieder in die Hände gespuckt
Wir steigern das Bruttosozialprodukt
Ja, ja, ja jetzt wird wieder in die Hände gespuckt.

Now we'll spit on our hands
And increase the Gross National Product
Yes, yes, yes, now we'll spit on our hands.


The song was originally written in 1977 by Friedel Geratsch (singer and vocalist for the band) and Reinhard Baierle, then playing under the band name of "Dicke Lippe", and released under the title Jetzt wird wieder in die Hände gespuckt] ("Now We Spit On Our Hands Again"), but its time had not yet come. Apparently, its time came in 1983, when Friedel Geratsch formed a new band and released it as their first single. It was a number one hit in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, and remains the band's biggest hit.

This is a German 80s pop song about economics. And yet, it is somewhat disappointing. Light, poppy; Americans may find it neither particularly German nor economic in tone. You can listen to the original on Youtube here; I actually prefer a slightly more modern cover by Extramoin, which can be found here. And if you really can't get enough, the French band Nanard released a french cover (also in 1983): Produit National Brut.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.