The official residence of the British Monarch
. It has over 600 rooms (though the Queen
and Prince Philip live in a suite of only 12). When H.M. Queen is in residence then her standard
flies above the palace.
It was originally bought in 1761 by George III
as a townhouse for his wife Queen Caroline. It was George IV who started having it remodelled as a palace but it was Queen Victoria
who became the first ruling tenant when she took up residence in July 1837.
Marble Arch which stands in the North East corner of Hyde Park
(at the West end of Oxford street
) was the original entrance to the palace but was moved in Victoria's time to make way for an extension.