Butthole Surfers (Brown Reason to Live) EP (1983, Alternative Tentacles)
1. The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave
2. Hey
3. Something
4. Bar-B-Q Pope
5. Whichita Cathedral
6. Suicide
7. The Revenge of Anus Presley

Live PCPPEP (1984, Alternative Tentacles)
1. Cowboy Bob
2. Bar-B-Q Pope
3. Dance of the Cobras
4. The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave
5. Witchita Cathedral
6. Hey
7. Something

Bonus tracks on the compiled CD release (2003, Latino Buggerville)
-Gary Floyd (live)
-Matchstick (live)
-Sinister Crayon
-Something (alt. version)

The Butthole Surfers EP (also titled Brown Reason to Live) was the first recording done by the BHS, but not the first heard by the Texan public. After forming in '81 and touring a bit, the band's live show involving projecting sex change films impressed big-shot, crazy guy Jello Biafra into giving them a deal on Alternative Tentacles. However, they did not have enough money to pay the recording studio for the time used. So, instead of giving up, the Buttholes went the free route and recorded a live show, also a brilliant way to showcase their unique wit in performing before an audience (shotguns loaded with blanks and the screamin' and the cursin'). This record, Live PCPPEP, was pressed to fund what should have been their debut, (previously mentioned Brown Reason...). So! This history sort of explains why the band decided to release two EPs with the same goddam songs on them. However, this sameness does not detract from the quality on either of the two proclaimations of the the bands coming.

What will I get on the Butthole Surfers EP?

Well, first off, the band decided in an effort to make the listener more uncomfortable, to press the record in a speed somewhere between 33rpm and 45rpm. Thus, when you listen on 33 you get a sound that is slightly too low in pitch, a screaming drunk that's going to smoke Elvis Presley's toenails, while at 45 you discover a high pitched, too quick raving psychotic with similar inclinations. Two records in one that you won't need, but equally enjoyable. Hell, you might end up liking one speed over the other.

Either way, the record opens up with a piercing squeal, and the aforementioned psychotic (Paul Leary, who, despite Gibby Haynes position lead singer, belts out the crazies for the songs "Something" and "Bar-B-Que Pope") announces the beginning of "The Shah Sleeps In Lee Harvey's Grave", a song that informs us on the activities of celebrities after death (a theme they will return to throughout their career). There is no music during the stanzas, but a cacaphony seems to rush in afterwards in an attempt to make up for the absence. Then you're told to shut up, a lot. A calmer, somewhat hypnotic song with more impressive guitar follows called "Hey." This version has more rock too it, or rather more music to it, than the track of the same name on Locust Abortion Technician (1987). Ending the first side of the record is one of their most infamous, "Something", a song that in self-defense you'll have to take as satire on inner-workings of a relationship in a bad state or perhaps of one of the band members. The music is intoxicating enough to make the song the kind of sickening-horrible you will listen to.

Side B beings with one-note saxaphonic growlings and aborted screams, before recounting an instance of papicide, BBQ Pope. Then, Witchita Cathedral shows perhaps the Buttholes' disdain for rockabilly, producing an annoying bassline and singsongy lyrics with nothing to hold them together but the memory of the last time Gibby was in Witchita. And then, "Suicide", a song that pretty aptly captures the desperation and violence of one in the suicidal mindset. Fuck it, it's hiliarious. And, finally, a barrage of noise and threats, a sort of "Goodnight" sending us off the White Album, as Paul (I think) tells us of the Revenge of Anus Presley, and what he's going to do to you.

How does the experience of the Live PCPPEP differ?

Well, it really doesn't, at least not much. You don't get the option of hearing the different pitch (unless you really want to listen to it on 33rpm, which I've done, and it's no less unlistenable as some of their other material). All the songs are the same as the previous EP except "Suicide" and "Revenge of Anus" are replaced with "Dance of the Cobras" and "Cowboy Bob." "Cobras" is kind of neat, if you notice it, and "Cowboy Bob" is simply a similar version of a song on Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac (1984). However, this time it's live, so you get to hear them in full performance mode, the crowd responding in the "SHUT UP!!!" sequence, and their lovely farewell to all the folks who came to the show.

The Dual Release

In 2003, the Buttholes decided to release CD featuring both of their early EPs together, at last, for some reason which includes four bonus tracks: "Gary Floyd" (live), "Matchstick" (live), "Sinister Crayon", and yet another version of "Something." I haven't gotten a listen, and I can't seem to find any information on how they dealt with the whole speed issue of Brown Reason to Live. Perhaps they mastered it normally this time? If so, I think for that reason, it's better to search for the EP on vinyl. Also, buying both on vinyl would probably save you somewhere around ten bucks. Again, I advise the vinyl route without having heard the bonus tracks.

Works Cited: hearsay, stories repeated in articles on the internet, the EPs

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.