Perhaps originating in Roman Italy, Charolais cattle are first referred to as a distinct breed around 1,000 A.D. in southern France. The region in which this breed was used changed hands frequently, from the French to the Spanish to the Italians and back again; as a result, trade barriers prevented the corruption of the Charolais, and it is still a fairly pure breed.

The Charolais is large, with rapid growth rates, which ranchers seek. They are also used for cross-breeding, to produce larger cattle with easier calving and a higher carcass weight. They are crossed with many breeds, incuding the Angus, Hereford, and Brahman.

This node is part of Tem42's list of cattle breeds, entitled, simply, cattle.

Charolais is also a farmhouse cheese originating in theCharola plains in the French region of Bourgogne.

The cheese is made of a mixture of cow's and goat's milk, and emerges from its affinage as a semi-soft cheese, ready to be eaten young, or allowed to age and mature into a strong and sharp cheese. The fat content of Charolais is 45%. It is produced by Daniel Boujon, of 7 rue Saint-Sebastien, 74200 Thonon-les-Bains.

research source: cheese.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.