Cit"i*zen (?), n. [OE. citisein, OF. citeain, F. citoyen, fr. cit'e city. See City, and cf. Cit.]

1.

One who enjoys the freedom and privileges of a city; a freeman of a city, as distinguished from a foreigner, or one not entitled to its franchises.

That large body of the working men who were not counted as citizens and had not so much as a vote to serve as an anodyne to their stomachs. G. Eliot.

2.

An inhabitant of a city; a townsman.

Shak.

3.

A person, native or naturalized, of either sex, who owes allegiance to a government, and is entitled to reciprocal protection from it.

⇒ This protection is . . . national protection, recognition of the individual, in the face of foreign nations, as a member of the state, and assertion of his security and rights abroad as well as at home.

Abbot

4.

One who is domiciled in a country, and who is a citizen, though neither native nor naturalized, in such a sense that he takes his legal status from such country.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cit"i*zen, a.

1.

Having the condition or qualities of a citizen, or of citizens; as, a citizen soldiery.

2.

Of or pertaining to the inhabitants of a city; characteristic of citizens; effeminate; luxurious.

[Obs.]

I am not well, But not so citizen a wanton as To seem to die ere sick. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.