BR Class 02 (Yorkshire Engineering Co. 0-4-0)

Twenty of these diminutive diesel shunters were built by the Yorkshire Engineering Co. for the then British Railways in 1960 and 1961 for use in areas with restricted clearances and sharp curves, such as docks and industrial areas. Appearance wise, its short, high and stubby bonnet (US: hood) and rear 'verandah' (unique among British Railways shunting locomotives) make it very distinctive and easy to recognise.

With the changes in the role of the railways in Britain and the closing of many of the facilities in which the Class 02 locomotives worked, they were increasingly surplus to requirements. The first locomotive was withdrawn from service in 1969 and the last one in 1973. Being only nine to fourteen years old when withdrawn, they still had a lot of life left in them, and the majority were sold to private industry. A large number (at least seven) are now in preservation, where their small size makes them perfect as a workshop shunter or for use in track maintenance work. One (D2860) is the works shunter for the National Railway Museum in York, where it is used to move much larger exhibits around.

In addition to these locomotives produced for British Railways, a good number of very similar locomotives were produced for industrial customers. Many of these can now be found in preservation also, since few industrial users have their own railways anymore. Quite a few are dressed up in ficticious British Railways livery and numbering.


Specifications:

    TOPS Numbering:  02 001, 02 003, 02 004 (only 3 survived to carry TOPS numbers)
    1957 Numbering:  D2850-D2869
          Built by:  Yorkshire Engineering Co.
        Introduced:  1960-61
 Wheel Arrangement:  0-4-0 (B)
            Weight:  22.5 tonnes (metric tons)
    Maximum  Speed:  14mph (22.5 km/h)
            Engine:  Rolls-Royce C6NFL176
     Engine Output:  170hp (127 kW)
        Brake Type:  Unfitted (no train brakes; only locomotive brake)
      Heating Type:  None Fitted

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.