BR Class 07 (Ruston & Hornsby 0-6-0 DE)

These fourteen locomotives were produced by the Lincoln firm of Ruston & Hornsby in 1962 specifically for use at Southampton Docks where they replaced the ex-US Army Transportation Corps 0-6-0 'USA Tanks' previously used. A larger and more powerful locomotive than Classes 01-06 was desired, but the British Railways standard heavier shunter, Class 08, had too long a wheelbase to negotiate the tight dockside curves.

Unlike the lower-numbered classes, the Class 07 was a diesel-electric, with a Paxman engine and AEI electrical equipment. It had a cab mounted off-center, approximately a third of the way down the locomotive, with a longer bonnet (US: hood) on one side containing the diesel engine and generator, and a shorter one containing electrical gear. The sides and ends of the bonnets were sloped at a slight angle from vertical, and the high-mounted cab made for excellent visibility. Originally, they were painted in the standard British Railways Brunswick green, but with coaching stock roundels on the cab sides instead of the normal British Railways emblem, because of limited space available. The ends were striped yellow and black as normal for shunting locomotives. By the late 1960s they were painted instead in the British Rail corporate standard rail blue.

By the 1970s, the nature of ship-borne freight had totally changed, with containers being used almost exclusively, and there was little need for the trains the Class 07 locomotives had been built to shunt around. The locomotives were obsolete in their intended role, and there was little need for such a small class of locomotives elsewhere on the British Rail system. Most of them were withdrawn from service, and a large number were sold to private industry. A few were retained at Eastleigh depot and works for a number of years after.

At least three survive to this day.


Specifications:

    TOPS Numbering:  07 001 - 07 014
    1957 Numbering:  D2985 - D2998
          Built by:  Ruston & Hornsby, Lincoln
        Introduced:  1962
 Wheel Arrangement:  0-6-0 (C)
            Length:  26ft 8in (8.13m)
            Weight:  42 tonnes (metric tons)
    Maximum  Speed:  20mph (32 km/h)
            Engine:  Paxman 6RPHL MkIII
     Engine Output:  275hp (205 kW)
      Transmission:  Electric
        Brake Type:  Vacuum or dual air and Vacuum
      Heating Type:  None Fitted
Route Availability:  6

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.