The baseball stadium where the Chicago White Sox play. Located at 35th and I-90/94, on the south side of Chicago.

I live very near this.

There used to be two. The old one was one of the oldest baseball stadiums in existence, but they tore it down in 1991 and replaced it with a parking lot. The new Comiskey Park was constructed directly across the street.
As a kid I realized I was skinny enough to turn sideways and step through the fence near the parking lot. It was fun to run around in an empty stadium, trying not to get caught by security.
When they knocked down the old Comiskey Park, somebody got the great idea to grab a bunch of bricks and sell them. They also sold sections of the bleachers. After realizing the bricks had value the demolition site was a pretty secure place.
Interestingly, the old stadium, first opened in 1910, completely resisted the first wrecking ball hit.
The location of home plate is marked in the new parking lot by a stone set in the ground, showing the dates of the old Comiskey Park's existence.
The old Comiskey Park, and currently the new parking lot, is adjacent to a local park called Armour Square (just to the north). I played here a lot as a kid. I spent a lot of summer days swimming in the public pool here, and on weekends, when there was a night game, it was always a good place to go to watch the fireworks display.
On the 33rd street side of the park, a group of nogoodniks usually hung around, sometimes getting drunk, sometimes just starting trouble for the hell of it. These are the guys that brutally beat Lenard Clark almost to death. Most likely because Lenard was a 13 year old black kid who, they felt, should not have crossed the expressway bridge to ride his bike. In all fairness, I should mention they beat up white guys too. I had the pleasure of going to school with these assholes for a short while.
Just to the north of the park, still on 33rd street is a bar, that recently Keanu Reeves was recently rumored to have gone drinking at the last time he was filming in Chicago (which seems to be always). Perhaps to celebrate the recent beatings?

Living near a major stadium has other drawbacks. It used to be that anybody could park where they wanted, flooding the neighborhood with extra cars, and making parking spaces very scarce. When everybody left the game, to go find their cars they filtered through the neighborhood, often releiving their drunken bladders in our gangway. But they changed that when they started a permit parking policy. Now they mail stickers to all the local residents and they put them on their windsheild. Anyone without a sticker gets towed when there is a game occuring. This created the aggrivating side effect of always making sure your visitors have guest passes displayed in their cars, which can get very difficult when you have a party. In most recent years they have been constructing cul-de-sacs at the end of most streets in an attempt to get the traffic to go past my house.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.