Manufactured by Eastman Kodak, this powdered chemical is used to develop black and white photographic film. You simply add water as directed to create a base solution that you dilute with more water before use. It is intended for use in the development of normal contrast, fine grain images, although you can increase the sharpness (and the graininess) by using D-76 in a 1 to 1 dilution. D-76 is one of many film developers that can be used in photography.

This chemical is often used with D-76R, which replenishes the D-76 chemical so that you can continue to get good results in developing films.

You typically use this chemical in the first step of developing black and white film, where in a darkroom you:

1. Place the film in a light tight tank and then pour in the developer. (D-76) and leave it there for the appropriate amount of time.

2. Rinse and pour in 'fixer' (sodium thiosulfate) and agitate for the appropriate time.

3. Rinse and dry appropriately.

By increasing the amount of time that the film spends in the D-76 developer, a photographer can perform push processing on the film, making an under exposed film come out as though it were exposed properly.

See more information at the photography metanode

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.