A piece of chemically treated celluloid that stores images, such as a photograph or a movie. It also can refer to the movie itself.

A thin skin on or around something.
Also a film written by Samuel Beckett, starring Buster Keaton, made in the early 1960s.

In Film, the protagonist has two facets: E (the Eye) and O (the Object). The Eye constantly pursues the object; the object flees all perception, all eyes that see him. Eventually it is revealed that E and O are one and the same; self-perception is inescapable.

About 30 minutes long and in black and white, a copy is likely available at your local arty video rental shop. While not quite a great date movie, it is quite stimulating. (As I found out after seeing it for the first time on a date... gotta love those pomo english major SOs).

Consumer versus Professional Film

Film has a tendency to suffer color balance shifts as it ages. The aging usually takes place if the film is stored at room temperature. The actual science is above my head, but thankfully, someone understands it and made provisions for it.

Consumer grade film is manufactured with the understanding that the average consumer will likely buy more than one roll of film, and that the film will either be left on a shelf, or in the camera for a long time before being processed. Because of this, the film is packaged slightly before the color balance is optimal.

Professional grade film on the other hand, is designed with the following in mind: a professional will usually buy a lot of film, use it quickly, and bring it in for processing shortly after its purchase. Therefore, it is manufactured so that it is at its optimal color balance when it is packaged. Because it is at its best when purchased, if the film will remain unused for a prolonged period of time, it should be refrigerated as per the manufacturer's instructions to prevent the color from shifting.

So if you are purchasing film that you will be using in the very near future, and you intend to finish the roll and bring it in for processing shortly thereafter, you might consider spending the extra on professional grade film.

Film (?), n. [AS. film skin, fr. fell skin; akin to fylmen membrane, OFries. filmene skin. See Fell skin.]

1.

A thin skin; a pellicle; a membranous covering, causing opacity; hence, any thin, slight covering.

He from thick films shall purge the visual ray.
Pope.

2.

A slender thread, as that of a cobweb.

Her whip of cricket's bone, the lash of film.
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Film, v. t.

To cover with a thin skin or pellicle.

It will but skin and film the ulcerous place.
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Film (?), n. (Photog.)

The layer, usually of gelatin or collodion, containing the sensitive salts of photographic plates; also, the flexible sheet of celluloid or the like on which this layer is sometimes mounted.

Celluloid film (Photog.), a thin flexible sheet of celluloid, coated with a sensitized emulsion of gelatin, and used as a substitute for photographic plates. --
Cut film (Photog.), a celluloid film cut into pieces suitable for use in a camera.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.