"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms. And the autumn moon is bright."

Classic horror movie, released in 1941. It was directed by George Waggner and written by Curt Siodmak. Starred Lon Chaney, Jr. (as the werewolf), Claude Rains, Evelyn Ankers, Maria Ouspenskaya, and Bela Lugosi.

When Lawrence Talbot returns to his ancestral home in England after several years in America, he feels out-of-place and uncomfortable. But when he visits a gypsy camp and is injured while saving a woman from an attacking wolf, he starts to fear that the wolf may not have been a normal wolf...

It was not the first werewolf movie, and it may not be the best, but this film is, far and away, the most influential -- most of the stuff you think you know about werewolves was invented for this movie, and most modern werewolf flicks borrow large chunks of their plots from this movie. The makeup by Jack Pierce was stunning when the film was released and is still considered the classic look for a movie werewolf. The story is much smarter than you'd expect, too, with Chaney giving a great performance as a poor schmuck who's terrified that he's either a monster or a lunatic.

Maleva: "The way you walked was thorny through no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Your suffering is over. Now you will find peace for eternity."

The sobriquet of a psychoanalytic patient of Sigmund Freud, derived from a dream he had about white wolves that were perching in a tree.

According to psychoanalytic urban legend, he was a wealthy Russian and eventually lost all of his money and property in the 1917 revolution. He stayed on in Vienna, where the psychoanalytic community supported him financially, out of reverence for his association with Freud.

Other famous case studies by Freud:

  • Anna O.
  • The Rat Man
  • Dora
  • Little Hans
  • Dr. Schreber
  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.