steal : A term from Basketball descibing the act of a defensive player taking the ball from an offensive player. This may happen while the offensive player is dribbling, holding the ball, or by intercepting a pass.

I love the steal in basketball because to it requires concentration, lightning quick reflexes, and good hustle. And a steal usually leads to a fast break, the most exciting play in the sport.

The term is used similarly in hockey and soccer.

Steal (?), n. [See Stale a handle.]

A handle; a stale, or stele.

[Archaic or Prov. Eng.]

And in his hand a huge poleax did bear.
Whose steale was iron-studded but not long.
Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Steal (?), v. t. [imp. Stole (?); p. p. Stolen (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Stealing.] [OE. stelen, AS. stelan; akin to OFries. stela, D. stelen, OHG. stelan, G. stehlen, Icel. stela, SW. stjala, Dan. stiaele, Goth. stilan.]

1.

To take and carry away, feloniously; to take without right or leave, and with intent to keep wrongfully; as, to steal the personal goods of another.

Maugre thy heed, thou must for indigence
Or steal, or borrow, thy dispense.
Chaucer.

The man who stole a goose and gave away the giblets in lms.
G. Eliot.

2.

To withdraw or convey clandestinely (reflexive); hence, to creep furtively, or to insinuate.

They could insinuate and steal themselves under the same by their humble carriage and submission.
Spenser.

He will steal himself into a man's favor.
Shak.

3.

To gain by insinuating arts or covert means.

So Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel.
2 Sam. xv. 6.

4.

To get into one's power gradually and by imperceptible degrees; to take possession of by a gradual and imperceptible appropriation; -- with away.

Variety of objects has a tendency to steal away the mind from its steady pursuit of any subject.
I. Watts.

5.

To accomplish in a concealed or unobserved manner; to try to carry out secretly; as, to steal a look.

Always, when thou changest thine opinion or course, profess it plainly, . . . and do not think to steal it.
Bacon.

To steal a march, to march in a covert way; to gain an advantage unobserved; -- formerly followed by of, but now by on or upon, and sometimes by over; as, to steal a march upon one's political rivals.

She yesterday wanted to steal a march of poor Liddy.
Smollett.

Fifty thousand men can not easily steal a march over the sea.
Walpole.

Syn. -- To filch; pilfer; purloin; thieve.

 

© Webster 1913.


Steal (?), v. i.

1.

To practice, or be guilty of, theft; to commit larceny or theft.

Thou shalt not steal.
Ex. xx. 15.

2.

To withdraw, or pass privily; to slip in, along, or away, unperceived; to go or come furtively.

Chaucer.

Fixed of mind to avoid further entreaty, and to fly all company, one night she stole away.
Sir P. Sidney.

From whom you now must steal, and take no leave.
Shak.

A soft and solemn breathing sound
Rose like a steam of rich, distilled perfumes,
And stole upon the air.
Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.